Among the animals that sleep longest are:
- Cats can sleep for 11 to 12 hours.
- Squirrels can sleep 13 hours.
- Hamsters can sleep up to 14 hours.
- The king of the jungle, the lion, resting even 14 to 16 hours.
- Lemur sleeps for 16 hours.
- Possum can sleep up to 19 hours.
- Armadillo sleeps an 19 hours a day.
- Bummer ( Sloth ) 20 hours a day.
- Koala can sleep 20 to 22 hours a day.
But none of these animals can be measured with the champion apnea. The snails can sleep up to three years. Snails must remain wet and slimy if they want to survive. They depend of the humidity, otherwise they may be dry out and die. Many snails have found a way to prevent the loss of moisture so they go to sleep during the day when it’s hot and then eat and move at night.
However, some snails, can be buried in the ground and stay there in a state of hibernation. They are, in contrast to the majority of hibernating animals, do not hide only in winter. Many snails can sleep (without food) and up to 3 years, and regular sleep may take up to a week! Snails usually live around 15 years so one of these periods of hibernation represents 20% of their life!